Welcome!

Welcome to Fresh Manna! My prayer is that this devotional post is a blessing to you in your walk with the Lord! My email is stndn4jesuschrist@gmail.com if you wish to contact me! May the Lord bless you for taking the time to read it!

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Field of Grace- Part 2



After being tested in stormy trial winds, the Good Shepherd's Field of Grace is used to help strengthen and restore our souls. Psalms 23:4 says, "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me." When shepherds are moving their flocks from one pasture to another, often they have to cross a rocky mountain path, that is no more than 2 wide at some points, over the rough Middle Eastern terrain. On the side of this path is a steep drop that would bring death to the sheep should it stray from the path the shepherd leads them on. This is what is meant by the phrase " the valley of the shadow of death." It's looming presence is there as a shadow over the sheep. But, the shepherd goes BEFORE the sheep, and CONSTANTLY talks to them to comfort them as they climb! Half way through the ascent, the shepherd moves to the back of the line to make sure all of the sheep have made it. As he does so, he again taps each one on the head with his rod and calls them by name! His voice provides comfort to calm all fears. Isaiah 51:12 says, " I, even I, am he that comforteth you..". "..thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it,when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left." Ish. 30:21. The Shepherd's staff is used to pull any straying sheep back to the line and pick up any that have fallen into brush on the side. Truly His "rod and staff, they comfort me!"

The phrase "table before me in the presence of mine enemies" has always made me wonder. Upon studying the shepherd, I found out that it is not a banqueting table as I had imagined, but what is pictured at the top of this post. When a sheep is injured or sick, the other sheep will often be the ones to harm it, not wild beasts! Their own family will become the enemy. They will butt the sheep aside by itself if it cannot move, and eat all of the grass around it, so it will be left to die! Praise God for the loving care of his injured sheep! He then makes what is called a "table" by using his cloak on one side, his staff and rod on the other two, and lastly use Himself as the finishing side to protect the sheep. The flock knows they are NOT TO CROSS THESE LINES! How sad that when a sheep of the fold is either fallen or sick, that it is the other sheep who attack and hinder instead of help! Just as Job's "friends" did to accuse and push him down farther, so do some of God's people in judgment of their brothers and sisters."The righteous cry, and the Lord heareth, and delivereth them out of all of their troubles." Psalm 35:17. 
Here he anoints the sheep's head with oil as comfort and medicine to heal the wounds. The oil is a type of the Holy Spirit as he speaks to our souls the words we need for our souls. "I will restore health unto thee, and I will heal thee of thy wounds, saith the LORD;". Jeremiah 30:17.
 The cup he provides is the other picture of a stone basin. It is used to cool hot water from the springs, to provide cool refreshment for the sheep. It is filled to overflowing so that is runs down to the sheep to ensure they have plenty to drink. "He brought streams also out of the rock, and caused waters to run down like rivers." Psalm 78:16. The water of His Word refreshes us to quench our thirst and help restore us. His well of water will NEVER RUN DRY!  John 4:14
"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever." As the shepherd takes up the rear on troublesome paths, He ensures all of His Goodness and Mercy on us. His most important act of Goodness and Mercy was when "the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep." John 10:11, when He died on the cross and rose again. He bestowed His goodness and love upon us for salvation. His Mercy was extended in not giving us the death and punishment we deserved for our sin. Thank the Lord that His salvation places us in His house forever! "He brought me into the banqueting house, and his banner over me was love." Song of Solomon 2:4.

The shepherd's Field of Grace feeds, leads, restores, protects, heals, comforts, and provides. I thank the Lord for His Field of Grace and the help He has given me these last few weeks while I have been in it. When the stormy winds are blowing, let them run you straight into His Field of Grace!





No comments:

Post a Comment